1. Malaria kills over 3,000 children every day in Africa (one child every 30 seconds)
2. Malaria is both preventable and treatable.
3. Malaria infects between 350 and 500 million people each year.
4. 90% of malaria cases occur in Africa.
5. Over 1 million people die from malaria each year, of which 75% are African children under the age of five.
6. Malaria has been eradicated form the US for over 50 years.
7. While 90% of Americans recognize AIDS as a very serious problem in the world, less than 30% of Americans are aware that malaria is also a grave threat.
8. Malaria causes severe flu-like symptoms including fever, vomiting and, if untreated, the disease can lead to coma, brain damage, life-threatening anemia and death.
9. Annual economic loss in Africa due to malaria totals an estimated $12 billion, representing a crippling 1.3 % loss of growth in endemic countries.
10. Malaria is a disease of the blood caused by a parasite transmittted from person to person by certain types of mosquitoes, which are active mostly at night. www.netfloridaredcross.org.
NETS SAVE THEIR LIVES - PLEASE HELP!